Sunday, January 12, 2014

COSTA RICA - DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL


DEPARTURE

There is a man exerting great effort in some bizarre version of a power-walk up the hill of the residential area in San Bruno, California where I have parked my car at my cousin’s house in preparation to leave for Costa Rica.  The man might actually be running in slow motion. He has a rope tied about his waist.  My mind can’t make sense of it all for a minute as my eyes follow along the taut length of the rope and see it is dragging a tire along the cement.  Across the street, I exhale a plume of smoke out my car window and fumble for my camera to capture what my mind can barely make sense of and what is in direct opposition to my current desires; to rest my body, soul, mind, and heart on my favourite beach in Costa Rica and do nada. 

A part of me detests this man because he is a reflection of myself on a daily basis, trudging up the insurmountable mountain of life, dragging a metaphorical tire along the way, using every ounce of energy, and having something which is already difficult be much more challenging.  It is not of my own volition; I am not training for something for fun or glory or simply to get in shape.  Occasionally I give up momentarily or break completely, and it is on these days that some catch an often misinformed, distorted glimpse of me, reacting either with incredible kindness and empathy or heart-wrenching discomfort, ignorance, and fear.

I left California with a heavy heart, disappointed and hurt by someone who I don’t think meant to hurt me but did nonetheless.  My mind churned through all that had transpired, already cluttered with spider web thoughts of travel, love, and life. 

Dining alone at the airport save for a phone call to a girlfriend, I catch snippets of conversation between two travelers and a third on his own nearby.  In my peripheral vision, a young girl in pink glides by sitting on her shiny pink luggage as if she were riding a pony, pulled presumably by her father.  A smile lights up my face.  I want to be like her riding through life enjoying the scenery, yet I am more like the man with the tire on most days.

I board the plane and one of the men I eavesdropped on while eating asks me about the book I’m holding as I pass by his 1st class seat.  I explain I haven’t read it yet and that it was just given to me that day by someone.  He thinks it is great “someone” just gave it to me and tells me I should pay it forward, maybe assuming a stranger gave it to me.  He seems nice, but I don’t want to talk to anyone at this moment finding my accessibility to others irksome.  I get comfortable in my seat only to disembark minutes later when the flight is delayed due to a change in aircraft.  Fine.  I’ll go get a beer and start to read the book on solo female travel that my boss had given to me to read. 

An hour later, we are boarding for the 2nd time, and I can feel the buzz on the aircraft that I think is due to everyone having had a drink. My seat companion and I strike up an interesting conversation and talk most of the flight. He is visiting his girlfriend in LA and, with the concern of him hitting on me out of the way, I can talk with abandonment. We talk about travel, solo travel, long-distance relationships and other random topics.  When he tells me his name at the end of the flight it sounds like, “How.” I get embarrassed by wanting to say, “How do you spell ‘How’?” wondering how many times he’s heard others trip up on that, but I am glad I have something more official to remember him by.

My delayed flight began to cause me some stress about missing my connecting international flight, especially after I arrived at LAX and had to take a shuttle to another terminal and received conflicting information about where to go.  Somehow I made it on my flight 15 minutes before take-off and was a little surprised when we stopped in Guatemala to pick up more passengers. 

The woman who sat next to me from Guatemala to Costa Rica gave me some travel tips for hot springs I had never heard of before.  I was again reminded of how easy it is for me to meet and talk to people, or perhaps more accurately, for them to meet and talk to me.  Why ARE people so afraid of solo travel?  Why am I so afraid of being accessible to others? 

Oh yeah, it’s because it is easy for me to get hurt.  If I had been more reserved, I wouldn’t be travelling to Costa Rica with a heavy heart and confused mind.  However, if I had been more reserved, would I be talking to all these interesting people?  Would I be travelling to Costa Rica?  Would I even still be Naomi Fino? 

Solo travel can play upon our real world fears of murder, rape, robbery, or other types of bodily harm.   It can also play upon our insecurities of loneliness, our abilities to navigate an unfamiliar world, and the frightening prospect of having to trust other humans we do not know or discern whether to trust them in a short amount of time.  We can be very vulnerable, which can sometimes feel and play out like a terrible human weakness or can amazingly be an incredible human strength.  Life is complicated.  Rarely are things black and white despite many people’s attempts at reduction.

 

ARRIVAL

My Sansa flight from San Jose, Costa Rica to Quepos is short, but again a conversation is struck with a man named Jeffrey who doesn’t like prop planes.  He says to me as we lift off into San Jose’s famous cross-winds, “That fish tailing thing?  I don’t like that.”  Again the subject of solo travel comes up and I inquire further, delighted that I keep meeting people who have something to say on the subject.  I want to hear everyone’s perspective.

He is a 6’ man, goes to English speaking countries like Dublin, England, Amsterdam and enjoys the feeling of getting lost and discovering things around the corner.

He begins to make strange movements with his mouth occasionally and I am distracted by this and the barf bag I notice he has set on the seat next to him.  He tells me the story of a rough landing he had earlier where a little boy incredulously filled an entire barf bag.  I can’t help but wonder, “Is he going to retch?” I don’t know if I can handle that in a small airplane in such close proximity but I want to hear more about his solo travels. 

When we land I am introduced to his friend picking him up at the airport and we chat.  They end up offering me a ride to my destination and, while I have ascertained they are not dangerous, I think about the topic of hitchhiking and taking rides with strangers.  I have never put my thumb out but I have taken several rides with strangers in Costa Rica or people I have only briefly spoken with.  I am still mostly selective about this, but occasionally I have taken chances wondering if I was being that stupid woman travelling alone who goes missing.  It’s really not so different from the chances I have taken with my heart over the years, which is probably why my heart is still resonating from something that makes it ache and feel bad. 

Driving through Quepos, my heart begins to feel better.  I am in a place I am in love with and I can feel my heart opening up to reach out to this place that has done more for my soul than any other person, place, or thing.

I arrive at Casa Buena Vista sweaty and stinky but give Anita a hug anyway and we chat and I have a cold Imperial.  I don’t need the typical rundown for visitors – I know the drill and coming to the cottage or casita is like coming home.  I am welcomed here – welcomed by Nuria’s towels folded like swans with flowers scattered across them.
 
I am welcomed by Anita with a cold beer.  I am welcomed on Facebook by many people I am looking forward to seeing and feel warmed by Sean’s comment, “Naomi Fino you are a beautiful flower dipped in chocolate!”  I am welcomed by my friends who want to see me who I assume are at La Mariposa based on the infinity pool pictures I glance at briefly.  I want to shower, unpack, get settled, and enjoy the feeling of my heart unfurling.

Doug and Burt surprise me by appearing where I am staying and announce that they are kidnapping me.  My heart springs wide open and I am overjoyed at seeing my friends.  I still think we are going to La Mariposa but it turns out it is to a gorgeous house that Peter and Doug are taking care of for friends along with two cute doggies.  One doggie gives me long distance kisses and cocks his head with an inquisitive expression that pulls at my heart.  


Burt bravely drives up what is probably the steepest hill I have ever seen in my life.  They speak in hushed voices and sneak me into the elevator.  Yes, the house has an elevator. 




My heart unfurls like a flower viewed through a time elapsed video when I see everyone.  My mind is boggled by the world I have just stepped into of architectural beauty.  Where the hell am I?  I’m still exhausted by my red eye flight where I only dozed off briefly and a week of difficult conversations, work, and severe lack of sleep.  My ever attentive kidnappers make sure I have a cocktail.  

I am given a tour of the expansive glass house that has a beautiful master bedroom, a Jacuzzi with an incredible view, and of course an infinity pool.

 

 
 

Peter explains he doesn’t like snakes and shows me the railing with snakes on them.  They are fake to scare off the birds – Scaresnakes!  He tells me how the owners of the house bought a bunch of the snakes from Toys R Us and then shipped them to Costa Rica, and I tried to imagine what kind of horror some poor customs worker received when opening a box of snakes before realising they were fake.   

 

We laugh, talk, eat, listen to music, and I receive my first few mosquito bites.  Even the mosquitos are happy to see me.  We watch an amazing sunset that ends with a bit of the famous green flash.  The clouds reflect in the infinity pool like a Maxfield Parrish painting and we see the sunset from the view of the house, through the camera lens, and through the reflection of the infinity pool.  It is a sunset of 3 perspectives.  The world is definitely not black and white. 
 

Tim and Burt kindly give me a ride home but I ask them to drop me off at Super Joseths.  I want to walk back to the cottage.  I am a woman alone at night and feel safe.  Part of this is because this place feels like home to me so it is like walking 15 minutes through your home town.  Safety is an illusion.  I am no more or less safer here than at home.  Bad things can happen anywhere.  Bad things happen at home.  Bad things HAVE happened to me at home.  These are things I am thinking about in the context of solo travel as I walk through the streets absorbing all the many changes Manuel Antonio has gone through since I was last here.  Some are exciting and some make my heart fall, like the big structure at the top of the hill where La Mariposa is.  This is like my childhood street changed except it is my adulthood street.  I am fond of it and protective of it and every change over the years affects me – the paving of the road, the imposing Los Altos building, and now this new structure.

I open an Imperial and sit down to write.  I am exhausted but I push myself forward to write even though I get to points where my eyes are rolling up into the back of my head and I fear I might topple over in my chair. The mosquitos make their effort in keeping me awake by biting me and causing welts on my arms and legs.  I am still the girl trudging up the insurmountable mountain of life pulling a tire that is separate and yet fused to me, but I have also been lucky enough to be the girl in pink, taking a ride on her luggage and watching the scenery.  I do not come here to escape because I know for me, there is no true escaping.  I am not quite that disillusioned. I come here to give myself a break before I break.  I come here to see my wonderful friends.  I come here to listen to the constant humming and singing of insects in the jungle, the thriving, pulsating life, the chirruping geckos, the distant crash of the ocean, and something that moves nearby in the dark trees.  Then I hear him – my howler monkey.  They have been here beside me the entire time.  I excitedly say hello and feel welcomed even by the howlers.  I come here because Costa Rica, much like the tire, has become over the years an inseparable part of who I am.  I come here because I am in love with Costa Rica.  I come here because the unfurling of my heart is as exquisite as a simple flower inhaling and exhaling the beauty of this colourful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment