Friday, January 17, 2014

BURY ME SUNBATHING

The overcast sky is a scrim, masking the unrelenting, impervious sun overhead.  In spite of my poor water drinking habits, sweat pools on my upper lip and drips down my face, my arms, my legs. An insect lands on me and I slap it away.  Already a man has noticed and impolitely pointed out the small bruises on my legs - one of the allergic reactions I get to mosquitos, sand fleas, and other critters that bite me.  These bruises are nothing; sometimes they grow to the size of a large palm print and are scattered up and down my thighs as though I have been savagely beaten. Piss ants find their way to my legs and arms tickling me.  Sometimes I brush them away crippling their tiny bodies; other times I demolish them with a small, silent ant prayer in my mind.  I feel an incredible pressure in my belly.  Translation:  I need to urinate.  It has been nearly an hour of the same monotony; the sun softly pummeling me through the cloud scrim, the various insects attracted to god-knows-what pheromone, and the irresistible urge to pee. 

I think of Cheryl Strayed pushing herself forward to hike the Pacific Crest Trail and think to myself, I can do this.  I can sit out here for another hour and rotisserie my Brazilian bikini clad ass on my sarong in the hot, Costa Rican sun.   I can drink *one* more beer.

Go, Girl!

In truth, the searing of my far-too-white flesh is blissful.  I could rest on this beach forever…for eternity.  In fact, I plan on it. I want at least ½ (if not all) of my ashes spread on this beach.  When I say forever, I mean it.  It’s the only thing I’m not joking about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment