Saturday, January 18, 2014

COSTA RICA EARTHQUAKE

Yesterday I went to la playa for some much needed sol and had some fun drinking cerveza while writing my last blog post, which was truthful yet poking fun at myself and my inability to pursue travel hardships of any kind.  I was laughing to myself out loud alone on the beach, even occasionally snorting, which just made me giggle harder, and was drinking my 2nd cerveza when I suddenly feel the ground moving. 

EARTHQUAKE!

It didn't last too long but my body went on high alert.  I looked around and nobody was stopped in their tracks looking about or acting as if they felt anything.  I've never been on the beach just meters away from the water during an earthquake before.  Am I being a stupid girl for just sitting here dumbfounded?  Is there even a remote possibility of even a mild tsunami?  I watch the waves for signs of changes wondering if, aside from the rising tide a few feet away from my sarong, I should be running to higher ground.  Who knows where that earthquake originated from?

Two men were passing by in close proximity and I caught their eye and yelled out to their white bodies, "Excuse me, do you speak English?"

They came over to where I sat and said that they do.  "Did you just feel an earthquake a few moments ago?"  They looked at me in confusion then consulted with each other over what "earthquake" was.  After a couple of minutes of trying to translate "earthquake" and me making stupid gestures of the ground shaking, they tell me that no, they did not feel anything. 

One guys says to me, "No.  Good luck, have a nice day!"  It seems to be spoken in a pleasant but slightly patronizing tone not only in my direction but my cerveza as well, like "good luck with that cerveza of yours!"

I suddenly feel ridiculous.  Oh my goodness, am I hallucinating earthquakes because of some sun and 2 beers?  I feel like a fool and cut myself off until I can get some water in me.  NO MORE CERVEZA FOR NOW! Which means for the next hour.....

I wrote down notes in my funky notebook I bought in Costa Rica and forgot about the entire thing until just a moment ago. It turns out, there was a 5.2 earthquake near Jaco yesterday.  Ha!  I wasn't crazy or hallucinating.  I'm pretty sure this brings the total to 3 earthquakes felt in Costa Rica over the years, but unfortunately with this one, there are two guys out there who are probably still shaking their head at that crazy girl on her sarong drinking Imperial. 

For article on the earthquake, click on the following link:
Costa Rica Earthquake News

No comments:

Post a Comment