Saturday, January 4, 2014

ROARING THROUGH MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

I hate waiting.  Inigo Montoyo and I lack the same patience gene. I will avoid waiting at all costs with an unparalleled passion.  I have more important things to work on with myself in this lifetime than to spend enormous amounts of energy focused on being more patient just to yield pitiful results that will still put me far below average with the entire human race.  Why bother?  I’d rather stand at the top of the cliffs of insanity and swear up and down on anything that means everything to me just to hear the waiting is over from the mouth of my mysteriously masked, sword-fighting foe with, “Throw me the rope.”

An exception to this is waiting for airplanes.  I don’t mind arriving an hour or even two earlier than I should at an airport, partially because there is plenty of people-watching I can amuse myself with and partially because I love flying and anything that has to do with airplanes, airports, and travel.  There is also that small caveat worth mentioning where missing my plane sounds like a little nightmare.    

Isn’t missing your flight something every traveler fears? Okay, well maybe at least those who are on a schedule or budget, which I was.  I was headed last minute to Milwaukee, Wisconsin for my friends’ commitment ceremony in October.

Dan and Scott are two wonderful people with 3 boys each.  It’s easy to do the math (3+3=6) but a lot harder to wrap your mind around all the hidden, abstract variables and what that must entail daily and accumulatively – especially for someone like me who has already capped out at having zero legitimate children save for an honor child in the form of a rather independent cat.  As it turns out, Dan and Scott quietly and humbly belong to an elite group of “super dads”, and they make raising 6 boys look not only effortless, but fun.  I keep half expecting them to write a manual on the subject complete with Dan’s fabulous photography and recipes, and Scott’s witty commentary italicized throughout.  If they ever were to embark on such a worthy endeavor, the world should pay close attention.

I met Dan in Costa Rica about 5 years ago while on a Sunset Sailing Tour.  There were a few of us on that sailing trip who had a great time on a boat together and exchanged numbers and information before parting ways.  As any traveler knows, this can mean nothing or everything regardless of good intentions.  We kept in touch and ended up meeting up again a year later, which became an informal annual event every January with different people joining in or being met along the way adding to a growing group of some of the most amazing people I have met in my life. 

I met Scott for the first time during an annual January trip and, later in the year on a separate October trip, had a chance to spend some more quality time with Dan, Scott, plus 4 of their boys and their friend, Mike.  Being a woman with no kids of her own nor any desire to have them for years now, I was a touch nervous with juvenile insecurity about meeting their boys.  All of that dissipated within moments as I realized how absolutely adorable, well-behaved, fun-loving, accepting, unique, mature, and intelligent each and every one of them were.  It also helped that when it comes down to it, I’m a bit of a kid myself and love playing in the world the way kids do.  It was pure joy to play in the sand and water and have races along the beach.  Of course there’s nothing quite like face-planting in the sand to bring you back to reality that no, you aren’t as fast, limber, or coordinated as you used to be 20 years ago, and it certainly isn’t going to look elegant, cute or endearing.  Luckily, as an adult you can administer the embarrassment salve that is in some countries called, “cerveza”. 

NOTE: “Cerveza” can lead to moments of extreme awkwardness, non-cuteness, furthered embarrassment, other ailments not appropriate for a public blog, falsely thinking you are 20 years younger, and face-planting in the sand.

It really shouldn’t have been a surprise their boys were so excellent in light of who their parents are.  Dan is a sweetheart.  He is incredibly kind, sincere, and lovable.  He is also very intelligent and one of those people that comes across as a super modest, laid-back, chill guy while in the background he is super chef and dad of the year with 3 amazing boys.  Scott is also incredibly kind, sweet, and full of witty snippets and dry humor that entertain and amuse.    He also happens to be really good at home renovations and dad of the year with 3 amazing boys as well. 

Getting to know Dan, Scott, and their family and friends has been a special experience, so when I heard about their commitment ceremony I knew that somehow, I needed to make it to Wisconsin despite financial and other personal concerns after a ridiculously difficult year.  Dan suggested I talk to Mike, and Mike graciously helped me with a flight at the last minute despite having only met me once before.

Over my years of travelling relatively often, I have had no flight mishaps born of stupidity and only one close call back in 1998.  Enter 2013, a year of many memorable personal disasters, and I finally have the dreaded traveler’s experience of unintentionally missing my flight.  I’m fairly certain the word “vicarious” was invented to dispel the myth that you have to experience something bad to appreciate the good and to give us all the perfect “out”.  A domino effect of delays, longer connecting flights, and impatiently waiting provided plenty of time to contemplate my screw up and what an irresponsible friend I was.  This was punctuated by my own stench from having ran out the door in a frenzy without showering and then stress-sweating into the layers of clothing I had slept in or thrown on last minute the entire 1 ½ hour drive to the airport.   I was not feeling, looking, or smelling so much like the Beautiful Naomi that Dan warmly calls me.  Feeling like the ultimate schmuck, I agonized over telling everyone of my delay. Despite any shock or reasonable disappointment that may have been felt, everyone handled the news with grace and kindness, which is just one small reason in an exponentially increasing list of reasons why I love these people so much. 

Dan and Scott chose the Iron Horse Hotel as the location for their ceremony and festivities that followed and, in an act of defiance against my bank account frustrations and with several lame justifications in tow (I’ll save taxi money and time travelling to another less expensive hotel), I impulsively booked a one-night stay at the Boutique Hotel. I am terrible at patience but boy, do I excel at convincing myself to impulsively splurge!  It happened to be an inadvertently wise or, at the very least, convenient choice.
 
(Painting in my room at the Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Arriving somewhere around 9 p.m., I checked in with a friendly and welcoming woman named Natasha at the front desk, then ducked into the elevator hoping nobody would see or smell the toxic travel fumes I felt emanating from me.  I walked into the Custom Deluxe King room, emptied my luggage in a rush, and stripped out of my clothes while having several “wow” moments at what a great room it was.  These boys certainly have good taste in hotels! The furnishings were modern yet warm, and there was a nice balance of upscale, rugged, and down-to-earth. The walk-in shower was divine with an expansive room and rain dome shower head.  I could have stayed in there for hours but had to be reasonably quick and settled for savouring every second I was being reborn in fabulous, liquefied luxury.

The reception was still going strong and I was greeted by one of Dan and Scott’s boys with a big smile and hug fashioned from flinging arms that melted my heart.  Seeing Dan and Scott looking so happy, peaceful, and dapper was heartwarming and I realized that, while it would have been wonderful to see the actual ceremony, just seeing them and being in their presence surpassed all that stinky-flight-and-ceremony-missing-misery, washing it away like a fabulous rain dome shower head within seconds.  It was great to meet their loved ones and to see a few familiar faces, like Mike and Jeff and Mandy, all of whom I had seen last in Costa Rica. 




 


 

At one point towards my arrival, Jeff said to me, “You have beautiful teeth”, which is a compliment I have unfortunately received far too often over the years and have grown to detest.  Why couldn’t they say I have a nice smile?  I’d even go for a beautiful mouth, but seriously, teeth?!  My dentist is the only man who can get away with saying I have nice teeth and retain any amount of credibility.  It’s like saying someone has nice knuckles or really great elbows.  No amount of good intention eases the pain of such a compliment, people!

A look of horror and disdain must have passed over my not-going-to-win-at-poker face as I searched for some way to respond before I realized Jeff was joking with me.  I had forgotten I had divulged the “teeth complimenting” story to him years prior in Costa Rica, making fun of the poor guys who maybe thought they were scoring points with me with an über awkward compliment.  I may have finished the story by grinning as wide as I could, pulling my lips in so they disappeared baring maximum teeth, and sarcastically saying, “Thanks!”  Nice one to pull out a few years later, Jeff!
 
After the reception we had drinks in the bar/lounge area and I had a chance to listen to and have some wonderful conversations, which is really one of the things that I love about spending time with people – getting to know beautiful people on a deeper level and having those “ah!” moments that further validate why you felt an instantaneous liking or affinity with them in the beginning.
 
 
The bar area had great ambiance, the kind of mood-lighting you want every bar/lounge to achieve, and had some fun touches with the art on the walls.  The Iron Horse Hotel is done in a Harley Davidson theme, but doesn’t overwhelm with the genre, adding in other fanciful touches and interesting pieces to keep you visually engaged without feeling bombarded or overly distracted.  It’s the kind of hotel that inspired me to think that perhaps I need to go back to Wisconsin for a longer stay than a whirlwind overnight flight.  It would certainly be fun to be there during the Harley Davidson Festival amidst a sea of roaring engines and leather.





 
I was scheduled to leave early the next morning and had a touch of fear about not waking up and missing my flight again.  While I knew staying an extra night would surpass even my skills with staging a bank account revolt, a part of me wished for it to accidentally happen so I could spend one more day and night with everyone semi-guilt free.  Of course as the story goes, I woke up on time, took one last luxurious shower that became a mental visual addition to my collection of “fantasy bathrooms” that have been accumulating in my mind over the years, and made my way down the elevator.  I sipped coffee listening to a song I particularly love by the Sneaker Pimps on the outdoor hotel speakers and became sentimental while waiting for my taxi. While everyone slept, I texted my good-byes to Dan and Scott not realizing my texts were not being sent. 

Let the lovers sleep.  Let the super dads have some quiet moments.  It was all perfect simply because seeing them even for a brief amount of time satisfied my soul and made every moment of mishaps, waiting, and travel worth it.  These are the kind of genuine people you travel 15 hours to see for a few hours before turning back home again, which is a precious rarity in life.  Missing my flight wasn’t necessary to draw this conclusion, but I included details of it for two reasons: one being this is a travel blog and I would be remiss in not mentioning it, and two, it did drive the point home for me at how much I adore Dan, Scott, their boys, and friends.  The bonus was knowing I would be able to give them a big hug and kiss on our informal annual tropical rendezvous, and it is these moments – where any amount that can be had is cherished – that keep good people in your heart and reaffirm how strong of a presence they have in your life.

****My congratulations and wishes for life-long happiness to Dan and Scott and their delightful boys, my special thanks and gratitude to Mike for his generosity and kindness, a quick all-in-good-fun “I’ll get you back someday, Jeff”, a “lovely to see you again, gorgeous Mandy”, and my affection and love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment